DEC ACCEPTING PUBLIC COMMENT ON DRAFT BEAVERKILL CAMPGROUND MANAGEMENT PLAN UNTIL APRIL 15
Previously Scheduled Public Meeting on Draft Management Plan for Beaverkill Campground Canceled
The New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) today encouraged the public to review and comment on a Draft Unit Management Plan (UMP) for the Beaverkill Campground, Sullivan County. Out of an abundance of caution and to limit the community spread of COVID-19, DEC has canceled the previously scheduled public meeting about the draft plan. The public is encouraged to submit input on the draft plan, which will guide future management of the campground over the next 10 years, through April 15.
The draft plan for the Beaverkill Campground can be viewed and downloaded at DEC’s website. Copies are also available in electronic format on compact disc and may be requested by calling (518) 457-2500.
The Draft UMP update proposes the following management activities:
- Reconstruct comfort station #6;
- Construct an entrance booth at the day use area;
- Rehabilitate comfort station #1;
- Expand day use and construct a new pavilion;
- Pave sections of roads in the camping loop;
- Relocate campsites;
- Demolish unused buildings and infrastructure;
- Bury overhead lines in the day use area;
- Plant trees and shrubs;
- Perform restoration work to historic sites; and
- Improve existing trails and create a trail connection to the Wild Forest.
In addition, the public can visit the Beaverkill Campground Survey to share comments on recreational opportunities. Survey Responses will be accepted until April 15, 2020.
All comments on the Draft Beaverkill Campground UMP must be received by April 15, 2020. DEC will review these comments as it finalizes the UMP for the Beaverkill Campground. Comments can be submitted by mail or email to: NYS DEC Bureau of Recreation, 625 Broadway Albany NY 12233- 5253, or email@example.com.